Monday 5 October 2015

Preskil Beach Resort water sport and activities

Honeymoon in Mauritius

Mahebourg, Mauritius


July 2015


Seven years after we got married, we were able to have the honeymoon we always wanted. We could only afford it after working for 6 months in Saudi Arabia, earning very good money. So I booked a full 7 day, 7-night hotel package for us at the four stars Preskil Beach Resort in Mahebourg, Mauritius through Flight Centre. 

In my first and second posts, I focused on the Preskil Beach Resort facilities, including the beach, marina, and lagoon. Here I would like to share some pics of some of the kind of activities there are to do at Preskil. There are more activities than just the 2 I include here.

About Mauritius


Mauritius (French: Maurice), officially the Republic of Mauritius, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean about 2,000 kilometers off the southeast coast of the African continent. The country includes the islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues [560 kilometers east of Mauritius], and the outer islands (Agaléga, St. Brandon and two disputed territories). The islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues form part of the Mascarene Islands, along with nearby Réunion, a French overseas department. The area of the country is 2,040 km2. The capital and largest city is Port Louis. Formerly a Dutch colony (1638–1710) and a French colony (1715–1810), Mauritius became a British colonial possession in 1810 and remained so until 1968, the year in which it attained independence. The government uses English as its main language.


Kayaking on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon


Kayaking on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Kayaking on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Rowing towards the beach

At the beach in my kayak

Windsurfer - Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Paddle boat trip to I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve


Ansu and I rented a small paddle boat to paddle across the Vieux Grand Port Lagoon to the I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve, a small island protected by the government. I snorkeled a bit near the island, while she enjoyed the sun and took pics. After about an hour we paddled the 700 meters back to Preskil Beach resort.

About Ile aux Aigrettes


Ile aux Aigrettes is a small (27 ha) island situated in the Mahebourg Bay, about 850 m off the south-east coast of Mauritius. Ile aux Aigrettes is made up of coralline limestone, unlike the mainland which is of volcanic origin. It is home to the last remnants of dry coastal forest, once found around most of Mauritius. Ile aux Aigrettes was affected by tree logging and land clearance, and the introduction of exotic animal and plant species almost destroyed the native fauna and flora. In 1965 the island was declared nature reserve.

Paddling on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon towards I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Ansu - Paddling on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon towards I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Paddling on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon towards I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Paddling on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon towards I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Preparing to snorkel

Snorkeling near I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

Ansu on I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve 'beach'

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon - paddling back to Preskil

Snorkeling in the Vieux Grand Port Lagoon


I  paid a local Mauritian about R1000 to take me on his speed boat on the Vieux Grand Port lagoon to do some sightseeing and snorkeling for a couple of hours in the late afternoon of our last day at Preskil, which was a fabulous sunny day.

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon

My guide

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Beach side residences - Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Clear turquoise waters of Vieux Grand Port lagoon

I'lle aux Aigrettes nature reserve

The guide threw bread crumbs in the water to attract fish...I saw beautiful fish...including a lionfish. The corals, however, have degraded and died in many places probably due to the 'footprint' left by excessive tourism.

Snorkeling in Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Snorkeling in Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Selfie in the boat

Dhow in Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Island Hopper catamaran in Vieux Grand Port lagoon

Island Hopper catamaran in Vieux Grand Port lagoon

SEE MORE!


Day trips we made with our rented car:




Exploring Western Mauritius


No comments:

Post a Comment