Wednesday 24 May 2017

Silverton on a Coke budget

Things to do in Silverton on a limited budget

Afternoon Autumn fun (2017)


Vintage car

Outing to KFC???


Silverton, Pretoria, is not a famous picturesque romantic break away spot. It is a working-class neighborhood to the East of Pretoria and my current home. I’ve lived and worked in and traveled to 25 countries over the last 20 years of my life. Silverton is not a tourist destination, but it is home. It has been home on and off over the last 8 years. When my wife and I are not working abroad, we call a garden flat on our parent’s property in Joseph Bosman Street our home. After we came back from Saudi a couple of years ago, we have been unable to find employment here. We have to depend on God and the good graces of our parents. With limited funding, we too have to get out of the house and do fun things. I was used to spending R1000 at a mall in Riyadh, KSA, without blinking, but after 2 years even a R20 note is a lot of money.


KFC booth decor & signage

How can one thus entertain oneself with no or very little money? Everybody was in the mood for ice-cream the other day, just a R5 KFC soft serve cone. So I suggested that we walk there, instead of driving. We will get some exercise and also get to work off the gluten and sugar on the way back. Win-win. So we took the scenic route to KFC taking pics of the scenery along the way. At KFC we were each given a R30 budget to have fun. KFC has items of R8 and below. We could each order a mini soda, a mini burger, mini fries and of course the soft serve cone. The new Kentucky opened in Silverton a couple of months ago and the furnishings and decor are quite modern and tasteful. I also took pics of a very old car in the parking lot of the little shopping center where the KFC is located.


KFC - isms

So it is possible to have some fun with very little money.....after all, it is like Dr. Phil says all about relationships. I was fortunate to have my wife and sister accompany me on this our little mini adventure. Life is what one makes of it. God is teaching us to appreciate the simpler things in life. 


Ansu & I - The start of our journey

Eish....dog walker did not pick up the poodie

Tree in autumn colors near the church

Ansu & Surita in front of Silverton Kruin Dutch Reformed church

Dassie punt

Dassie punt - I often come here

Freedom

Ansu & I

Birds on wire

Birds galore

Vintage

KFC

KFC sign

KFC counter

KFC decor

KFC decor

KFC

KFC Add Hope initiative

More about Add Hope


KFC booth we ate in

Our Meal

The reason we went in the first place


No comments:

Post a Comment